Healthcare.gov tips, tricks and hints
Using the Healthcare.gov website | Tips and Tricks
Two words of advice: Be patient.
You only need to register and apply on this website if you expect to receive premium and benefit subsidies. If your income does not qualify for a subsidy, you can skip this process and proceed directly to choosing and signing up for a health policy. You can quickly and easily see if you qualify with our subsidy calculator.
You have until December 15th to register, apply and sign up for health insurance to be effective on January 1st. Try to stay away from peak user times to have the best chance of completing. Open enrollment continues through February 15th. You must apply by the 15th of the month to be effective on the first of the following month.
When asked for our marketplace ID you will enter - djcmmoore - our National Producer Number (NPN) is 2438645. This must be entered when you are first registering if you want our help, guidance and assistance. My name is David Moore and our agency is Benefit Brokers, LLC
There is quite a bit of information you will need to prepare prior to logging in. This will save you a LOT of time and allow for a streamlined application process. Download this list of requirements. With this information you should be able to complete the subsidy application in about 20 minutes.
Hints and Tips
- Write down or print your ID, password and any confirmations you see.
- If you owe back taxes to the IRS, you are not eligible for a subsidy
- You must file a tax return to receive a subsidy
- If you underestimate your income, you will have to repay your subsidy
- If your income increases during the year and you don't login to healthcare.gov and change your expected income, you will have to pay back any overpayments
- If your income decreases during the year, you can update your status and receive a larger subsidy beginning with the next month.
- Open enrollment continues through March 31, 2014 so you have time -- don't panic
- You can not change plans mid-year, and you can not sign up outside of the open enrollment period.
- if you do not qualify for a subsidy, there is no reason to use the Marketplace website, you can go directly to "apply for coverage" below.
Step-by-step instructions to apply for your subsidy